Thursday, August 4, 2011

My Summer of New Adventures Part I

This has been one of the most adventurous summers of all time.  It has also been one of the fastest summer breaks on record.  I know it's not over, but dang, it's August already.  I will not start focusing on the return to school, I will not!!! 

There have been three major adventures this summer.  I guess two have been major, one was just fun!! 

The first adventure of the summer was our family trip to Grand Haven.  It was a week of the whole family living under one roof.  Add to that my cousin coming in with her two children for three days and what we had was chaos, loudness and a whole lot of fun!!!  The house where we stayed was big enough to accommodate all of us, four bedrooms, three full bathrooms, and one half bathroom.


We were lucky enough to be able to stay here during the week of the Fourth of July.  A small town that usually accommodates around 2,000 people had 200,000 visitors that week.  It was carazzyyy busy, from the downtown area, to the boardwalk, and especially the beach.  Picture a scene from one of those beach movies where there is not a space to be found and that was the beach on the fourth of July.  I am a long time people watcher and let me tell you, I had a grand time watching all of the different people.(and women/men who were wearing bathing suits they should not have stepped out of the house wearing) 

The best part of the week was the family time.  I was pretty nervous about all of us living in harmony for a week.  My sister has twin boys who just turned one and she is EXTREMELY protective of everything they do.  If the headed towards the steps, she freaked out.  If they crawled near the kitchen, she freaked out.  Let's just say, she freaked out a lot that week.  Despite her "freakiness", we bonded as a family. 














As a child, we used to vacation up north every summer with my grandmother, her "fella" George, my aunt and uncle and their six children, plus our family of five.  We all stayed in the same cottage for a week, some were large enough that we all slept comfortably, some were so small, there wasn't even enough floor space.  We played cards every night and fished daily.  So I have been waiting for our family to start this tradition with our own children.  It was well worth the wait.

One of my favorite parts of the week was the farmer's market.  There were many vendors selling fresh berries, granola made just that morning, chocolate covered blueberries(really yummy), and doughnuts(my kids loved them).  What attracted me the most was the flowers.  They had sunflowers that were gorgeous and hanging baskets for eight dollars that here in Jacktown would have cost at least thirty dollars.  I wanted to buy about five of them, but alas, there was no room in the car and I settled for one. 







By the end of the week, we had visited the beach five times(and all had a great tan, except my sister who got fried on the first day and is still peeling), had walked downtown everyday, visited the ice cream parlour, saw their version of Cascades(didn't measure up to ours at all), ate some totally awesome black bean cakes and some awful pickle flavored popcorn, and vowed that we would do this again next year!!  And let me tell you, I can't wait!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment